Diary, which features upcoming walks until June 2018. (Including Wednesday recce walks, please see end of programme for more information.) If you have not been out with us before please click here for important information on the walks, including how they are graded. You will find advice there on travel, clothing, refreshments etc. as well as a full copy of the published programme please click here for full printable details, in booklet form.
All train times are correct when the programme is assembled, but please check for short notice changes due to engineering works, etc., before setting off. Also, where bus travel times are given, it is advisable to check times during the week before the walk.
Saturday 21st April
1. LLANGOLLEN CIRCULAR via Horseshoe Falls, Maesyrychen Mountain, Horseshoe Pass, Cyrn y Brain and Worlds End (16 miles strenuous)
Leaders Pat Talbott and Chris Jenkins Depart Shrewsbury 08.22 for Ruabon BUS to Llangollen Return Ruabon 16.42
2. NEW RODINGTON TO SHREWSBURY via Shropshire Way. (8.25 miles easy)
Leaders Trevor Allison and Doug Hill. Depart Shrewsbury 08.47 book to Wellington. Depart Wellington BUS station service 16 (stand D) 09.20 to
Rodington (Bus fare extra).
Saturday 28th April
1. NEW STOCKPORT TO MACCLESFIELD via Disley, Lyme Park and the Gritstone Trail (13 miles energetic)
Leaders Douglas and Ian Hill Depart Shrewsbury 08.52 for Stockport Return BUS from Macclesfield, return Crewe 17.20 or 18.09
2. NEW WELLINGTON CIRCULAR (Bluebell Walk) via Limekiln Wood, Wenlock Wood and the Wrekin. (10 miles strenuous)
Leaders Pamela Hill and Steve Paynter. Depart Shrewsbury 09.33 return Wellington 17.07
Saturday 5th May
1. TYWYN TO BARMOUTH via the Welsh Coast Path (16 miles strenuous)
Leaders Brian and Jenny Jones Depart Shrewsbury 07.29 Return 16.56
2. COLWALL TO LEDBURY via British Camp, Swinyard Hill, Ridgeway and Eastnor (8 miles moderate)
Leaders Neville Homent and Doug Hill. Depart Shrewsbury 8.33 to Birmingham New Street. Depart Birmingham New Street 9.49 to Colwall,
return Ledbury 15.58 (Book Ledbury return)
Saturday 12th May
1. NEW WELLINGTON STATION TO SHIFNAL via Little Wenlock, Coalbrookdale, Coalport, Brockton, Kemberton and Grindleford (19 miles strenuous)
Leaders Pat Talbott and John Parnell in cooperation with the Ironbridge Gorge Walking Festival. Depart Wellington 08.35 Return Shifnal 16.46
2. NEW HOPTON HEATH TO CRAVEN ARMS via Heart of Wales Trail, Hopton Castle, Clunbury, Aston-on-Clun, Hopesay and Sibdon Carwood
Leaders Graham Baker and Trevor Allison (8.75 miles moderate). Depart Shrewsbury 09.00 (book Hopton Heath return). Return Craven Arms 14.56.
Wednesday 16th May
NEW MYDDLE TO YORTON via Newton on the Hill (7 miles leisurely)
Leaders Les Lumsdon and Mike Ledlie. Depart Shrewsbury BUS station 10.45, return Yorton Railway Station 16.03
Saturday 19th May
1. NEW BORTH CIRCULAR via Taliesin (over the hills) and Llandre (17 miles strenuous)
Leaders Iain Chippendale and Phil Johnston Depart Shrewsbury 07.29, return Borth 18.45
2. TYWYN TO ABERDOVEY via Coast Path, Trefeddian Fach and Crychant (9.5 miles energetic)
Leaders Audrey Menhinnick and Barbara Phillips. Depart Shrewsbury 09.31 return Aberdovey 17.27. Book Tywyn return.
Saturday 26th May
1. LLANDUDNO JUNCTION to Llanfairfechan via Conway, North Wales Path and Druids circle (12 miles strenuous)
Leaders Mark Phillips and Dennis Jones Depart Shrewsbury 07.22, return Llanfairfechan 16.09 or 18.09
2. MACHYNLLETH CIRCULAR via Pont-ar-Ddyfi, Hafodty, Dolgelynen, Twllnodwydd, and Cwm Gila (8 miles moderate)
Leaders Peter Jones and Pete Lightwood. Depart Shrewsbury 9.31 return 16.08
Saturday 2nd June
1. MACHYNLLETH TO TAL-Y-BONT via Bwlch, Cwmrhaeadr, Anglers Retreat, Winllan and Leri Valley (15 miles strenuous)
Leaders Andrew Pike and Alan Davies Depart Shrewsbury 07.29, return bus from Tal-y-Bont Depart Machynlleth 18.05
2. ABERGAVENNY CIRCULAR via riverside and Canal (7 miles easy)
Leaders Bob and Liz Owen. Depart Shrewsbury 9.40 return 16.01
Saturday 9th June
1. TALYBONT TO BARMOUTH via Pont Fadog, Moelyblithcwm, Crib y Rhiw and Diffwys. (16 miles strenuous)
Leaders Liz Cruickshanks and Mike Downward Depart Shrewsbury 07.29 Return Barmouth 16.56
2. BUCKNELL TO KNIGHTON via Stow Hill, Stow Church and Lee Cottage (7 miles moderate)
Leaders Marion Law and Susan McCormack. Depart Shrewsbury 9.00 return Knighton 16.21 Book Knighton return.
Wednesday 13th June
WELSHPOOL CIRCULAR via Lower Llanerch-y-ddol and Y Golfa (8 miles moderate).
Leaders Pamela Hill and Neville Homent. Depart Shrewsbury 9.31 return 16.56
Saturday 16th June
1. NEW DOLYWERN TO LLANDRILLO via Spring Hill, Cefn Hir-fynydd, Rhos, Tomle and Cadair Bronwen (17 miles strenuous)
Leaders Mick Guest and Alan Davies Depart Shrewsbury 8.22, arrive Chirk 08.47, then BUS at 09.06, arriving Dolywern 09.15, return T3 bus
Llandrillo 18.30, arrive Ruabon 19.18, depart Ruabon 19.51.
2. BARMOUTH TO LLWYNGWRIL via Morfa Mawddach, Bryn Seward and Rhiw Corniau (7 miles moderate)
Leaders Pam Swales and Clare Gathercole Depart Shrewsbury 9.31, return Llwyngwril 17.10 Book Barmouth return.
Saturday 23rd June
1. BORTH TO ABERYSTWYTH via Penrhyn-coch and Capel Bangor (14 miles strenuous)
Leaders Pat Talbott and Mike Downward Depart Shrewsbury 07.29, return Aberystwyth 17.30
2. SHIFNAL CIRCULAR via Hatton Grange (9 miles moderate).
Leaders Neville Homent and Pete Lightwood). Depart Shrewsbury 9.47 return 16.46
Saturday 30th June
1. CHANGED MACHYNLLETH CIRCULAR via Forge, Ty-gwyn, Rhiw Goch, Hafodwnog, Cwmrhaeadr (13 miles strenuous)
Leaders Phil and Cheryl Johnston Depart 07.31 Shrewsbury Return Machynlleth 16.00 or 18.00
2. CHURCH STRETTON CIRCULAR via Ragleth Hill, Little Stretton, Ashes Hollow and Carding Mill Valley (8 miles moderate).
Leaders Steve Paynter and Peter Jones. Depart Shrewsbury 9.40 return 16.55
Wednesday recce walks
As the name suggests, these walks are designed to either recce walks that are already scheduled on the current Rail Rambles programme or to explore new walks with a view to including them on a future programme and thus enhance what is currently on offer. Whilst they are not fully recced, they will all be led by experienced Rail Ramble leaders with the proviso that, unlike walks shown above, the leader cannot absolutely guarantee the return time. Walkers take part at their own risk, and must be prepared for difficult conditions, a potentially longer walk than is described and be well equipped. If you are unsure whether to take part in one of these walks, please contact Mick guest beforehand on 01902 756530 or 07780353617.
Wednesday 25th April, Church Stretton circular over Caer Caradoc and the Long Mynd, of about 12 miles. Transport: Out; 09:14 train from Shrewsbury Back; 15:04 from Church Stretton.